>I have an old P75 w/ a 512 mb hd and 16 mg ram and was wondering if this would
>make a decent firewall/router or would I need more ram / hd?
>
>TIA
>Steve
>
>BTW, Small office set up (5 pc's) w/ a low access web server and mail

Sounds like a perfect box for a router/firewall to me.  Just don't
bother with running X on it.  You could even run a few services on it if
you were so inclined.  Caching DNS would be a good thing to have, maybe
even Squid for web caching.

5 machines isn't going to put any serious load on a P75.  I've used a
486 with 16MB for a while as a gateway/firewall/DNS for 4 machines
without any problems and fine performance.

You may want to consider one of the small micro-distros however (LRP,
Trinux, etc.), as Red Hat these days even in a very small install takes
nearly 500MB, which doesn't leave a lot of breathing room.

Good luck!
                                 --
                    Joe Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances