Adam Sleight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I plan on getting a new 2U rackmount with one 9G and two 36GB SCSI's for a
>SAMBA server.
>I use tar currently for my mail server and it works fine.  However, for
>this SAMBA server
>I'd prefer a "commercial" solution. I need to *remotely* backup/restore
>this server...no
>monitor or keyboard will be hooked up to this server. Any advice or
>recommends (as they
>say in Japanese music stores) will be appreciated.

We use BRU here and I've had good luck with it.  BRU can be run from the
command line or via an X-session, so that might be a possibility for your
headless server.  Truthfully once you've got a backup script in place
scheduled by cron there probably won't be much to do as far as BRU is
concerned other than reading the backup results and changing the tape.

>In addition planning to get a external DLT 40/80GB tape drive $4500
>(ouch). Tapes around
>$80 a pop this ain't gonna be cheap.  I wish we could go with a DDS-4
>20/40GB tape drive
>but it probably won't be big enough.  Or is it cheaper to get a DLT tape
>library of a few
>DLT 35/70GB tape drives?

With that much disk space (1 9Gb and 2 36Gb drives) a DDS-4 probably won't
be big enough, but you might be able to use the external DDS-4 5 tape
autoloader.  I'd want to make sure switching tapes is possible (I only have
the single tape internal) and I don't know if that route is cheaper than a
DLT drive or not.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician