On Mon, 8 May 2000, Uncle Meat wrote:

Thanks for the replies

Unfortuantly the more I did the worse it got and now I am about to scrap
the machine, maybe even redhat if this is what happens with rpms.

I forced it to remove sysklogd and installed syslogd. syslogd complained
about some files not being OK so I modified them by hand as prompted.
problem is it dont log.

Cannot uninstall it cause it is needed

cant reinstall syslogd cause it needs other packages that wont install
cause they need other packages ...etc.

Not impressed

Don't know what I could have done different, I was only trying to upgrade
the packages listed and supplied from the redhat update site as per
instructions. Now I do not trust this machine at all and won't log
anything.

Not happy.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions.

kevin