Thanks, Still have problems though.  Do think the drivers are compiled  now
though.  Ran make and make modules in /usr/src/linux and then it seemed that
those commands would work in the joystick directory.
But when trying to run  ./jstest /dev/js0 I get  "No such file or directory.
When I emacs (don't know how to use vi) jstest there is code in the emacs
screen.  The faq in the joystick documentation says that you need to run
make devs in this case which I already had.  Re ran it and the devices all
seem to appear properly.
Ran kernelcfg and until I goofed it up it appeared joy-analog was installed
and I edited the parameters to read js_an=0x201,0x003b,0  except for the
last 0 which may be wrong the 0x201 matches the setting inwin98 and 0x003b
is what's listed for the m value in the documentation .
Tried insmod joydump.o and it seemed to work as per the documentation but
I'm not sure where the system log is.  Could only find blank files where I
looked.
Hope you can help. Thanks for trying.

[...]
I'm not sure where the system log is.  Tried dmesg and found no reference to joystick of any kind.
Hope you  can help. Thanks for trying.

Bill

[EMAIL PROTECTED]