According to the man page for "init", it includes a feature
designed to prevent misconfigured "inittab" entries from sucking
up too resources. When init detects that it's respawning a
process more than 10 times in 2 minutes, it starts a cycle
wherein it waits 5 minutes before trying again.

Well, I had my X server freak out over the weekend, and it triggered
this behavior. Problem is that now after a reboot it *still* tells
me that, and won't start up the prefdm thing.

So the question is, how does init keep track of the behavior it's
protecting me from?

(I'll be trying to find the source RPM, and if I get the answer
I'll post it.)

Mike McNally | Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Pink and shiny, turn around.