I'm no newbie but this is a newbie-like question since I've no experience
with this particular topic....

I've been running Linux since the 1.1.59 kernel on Slackware 2.1. Am  now
at RH 6.2 which was an upgrade on top of 5.2. The 5.2 was a fresh install
on my hard drive back when it was powered by an old P90 mobo. Later I
slid a new motherboard in underneath that installation without tweaking
anything.

The "new" motherboard (now a year old) is a FIC VA503+ with a K6-2/350
CPU. This board uses some flavor (which I don't have in my head right now)
of VIA chipset.

So, my question is this:
Given this board and the history of the OS installed, is it safe to enable
UDMA? The CMOS setup now shows it to be disabled. I believe the hard drives
will supporr it, both are Maxtor drives not more than 2 years old.

given my ignorance of the subject I don't know:
1. if its SAFE to do,
2. HOW to do it (some postings have said to just do the right incanation
   with 'hdparm', but since the CMOS indicates UDMA is disabled do I also
   need to tweak the CMOS setup too?)
3. how to tell for sure if it's trashing my system before it is totally
   trashed (i.e., how to tell quickly if something is wrong so I can
   turn it back off before the damage becomes irreparable).

All reasonable advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------