On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Johan Lim wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a new linux user. I use RH 6.1 and right now there are two problems that
> bothering me:
>
> 1. I can't copy files using file manager, why?
>
> 2. I try to set up Internet connection using Dial up configuration tool and
> when I try the connection there is an error:
> --> Modem not responding
> --> Unable to initialize modem.
> Is there any configuration files that I have to modify?

guess what "win" in winmodem means?   it means lose-modem.  Sorry to say,
but...  Here's a couple webpages to see if your modem is a lose-modem.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/drivers/cards/modems/
http://www.redhat-linux.com.my/hw-compatibility/61/rh6.1-hcl-i.ld-14.html

i hope it works out for you without having to buy another modem..

chip.