At 10:52 PM 7/12/00 , you wrote:
>I am seeing these entries for the first time on a machine running RH5.2.
>Can anyone tell me what they might mean?
>
>Jul 12 23:31:05 medarb kernel: eth0: Too much work at interrupt, status
>0x01
>Jul 12 23:32:05 medarb last message repeated 3 times
>Jul 12 23:36:23 medarb last message repeated 3 times
>Jul 12 23:37:51 medarb last message repeated 4 times
>Jul 12 23:39:46 medarb last message repeated 3 times
>Jul 12 23:40:06 medarb kernel: eth0: Too much work at interrupt, status
>0x01

Owen,

I don't know what *these* messages mean but I investigated some similar
ones for my card (ancient Intel 8/16; driver = eexpress.c) by installing
the source and browsing it. My impression was that my card was a piece of
junk and that the messages were simply (annoying) evidence of the driver
trying to recover from hardware problems.  I am going to replace the couple
I have in service as soon as I have a spare moment.

I only noticed my messages when I started using Amanda to dump backups to
the machine and the card got a thurough work-out.

Look at the errors/collisions reports by /usr/sbin/ifconfig.  They should
be less than, oh say 1-5% of the packets. (Does anyone know, do you count
incoming+outgoing or just one of them?)

-Alan Mead