Chad Rismiller wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, George Lenzer wrote:
>
> > I have set up an IP Masq box for my folks.  I really don't want them dealing with
>command line, so I would like to find a reliable way of bringing up/down ppp0 via a
>web interface.  I've looked at quite a few of the web interfaces on freshmeat.net.  I
>did manage to find one that I really liked.  However, when I tried to use it,
>/var/log/httpd/error_log reported that regular users can't control ppp0.  I tried
>changing perms on /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown to 4755, but that still didn't work.
>What am I missing?
> >

> I ran into this on a RedHat 6.1 box.  I was able to fix it by going into
> linuxconf under Config-->Networking-->Client Tasks-->PPP/SLIP/PLIP
>
> There is an option under the interface that toggles whether "regular
> users" can control the interface

Is that why on one of my boxes, I forget which, when I run linuxconf and preview what
is to be done on shut down it tells me that it is going to change the perms on pppd
from 4... to 0.... ?  I forget what the actual perms are but that it looked like it
was going to remove the suid bit.  I then just quit and do the other command like
network reload or whatever.

Bret