On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Lee Johnson wrote:

> > If you can revert to your previous linux kernel, do it.  The docs are old,
> > there's no real need to recompile your kernel these days.  Try searching
>
> your kidding..........unbelieveable........well......this is good news BUT
> does it apply to me since i'm running redhat 6.0/2.2.5-15 kernel

2.2.5 is fairly old, and I'd recommend an upgrade, but what I said still
applies.  You don't have to recompile.

> other than i may have to as i c an't get back in to linux OS...if i do all i

Find a boot disk :)  My favorite is tomsrtbt which you can find at
http://www.toms.net/rb/.  I believe that you can write that to a floppy
using rawrite under DOS.  You might also be able to use the Red Hat
installation CD to boot your system, but I don't remember if this is still
the case.

> i was trying to find the vmlinuz.bak but can't........so don't know if i can
> revert or not unlikely but i'll keep trying

Your vmlinuz files should be in /boot, no?  Unless you uninstalled the
kernel rpm, you should be able to edit /etc/lilo.conf, and restore the
original kernel config (image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15).  While you're doing
that, you can set up your CDRW at the same time.  Try this:

cd /boot
mkinitrd --with=ide-scsi initrd-2.2.5-15.img 2.2.5-15

Then, in lilo.conf, enter the lines:
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img
under the image= line.  Assuming that /dev/hdc is your CDRW, that should
work.  Run "lilo" and reboot.  Your CDRW should now be using the ide-scsi
driver.

MSG