The key to the solution was applying the current RedHat RAID patch to the
kernel source.  This is maintained by Ingo at the following site:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches

(Can anybody tell me what the difference is between this and the so-called
patches found on kernel.org?  The ones at kernel.org didn't work for me,
although I may have been the problem there... see next paragraph)

I may have also caused myself earlier trouble by neglecting to re-run lilo
after re-compiling the kernel, which is necessary, I believe, to map
pointers the initrd properly.

I'm not certain if /boot can be used as a RAID device yet; I'm about to try
that again.  And if it can be, I'm not certain if I'll continue to get the
[FAILED] message on halts/restarts.

Lee Howard