On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Lee Howard wrote:
> >I wonder then, why you had a problem with upgrade via RPM? ...
>
> This is a wild guess, but I think it has to do with the assumptions made by
> whoever made the RedHat kernel RPMs.  I'm guessing here again, but I think
> that the 6.2 kernel RPMs don't configure initrd properly.  And, if that's
> the case, boot will halt promptly because it can't find the RAIDed /boot
> partition.

Sure, without a proper initrd, the system won't complete boot, but it
won't start "Loading Linux......." and halt.  It'll load the kernel, the
kernel will boot and be unable to mount root fs (panic!!).  You saw both,
but halting while loading the kernel is odd.  I can only guess that it was
caused by the kernel residing on a striped RAID set.

MSG