On 4 Aug 2000, George Georgiev wrote:

> I have a Motorola SM PCI 56 voice internal modem, that is not initializing or
> responding neither under kde nor gnome. Do you think i got one of those nasty
> Winmodems (cuz it works only under win98, it doesnt even work under win2000)

Yes, it appears to be a winmodem according to this information:

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://www.motorola.com/networking/products/softmodem.html

Nevertheless, check out this other site in case they have the necessary
drivers to run that modem:

http://www.linmodems.org/

> If that's the case obviously i have to get a new one, what would you suggest,
> an external one, maybe US Robotics or something, Please if you have an idea
> can you direct me to a modem in the pricerange of $60-$80, external modem that
> will actually work without any problems under RH Linux 6.2

In any case, even if you're able to make that modem work with Linux,
you're better off by running a real hardware based modem. External modems
are compatible pretty much all the time.  A local store here in the Twin
Cities appears to have them within your price range.  I understand there
is only a slim chance that you'll also be here in the Twin Cities but I'm
including the link just to give you an idea about prices.   :-)

http://www.nanosys1.com/