Eric responded:

You've probably noticed that Reply-To has been added.

>Vidiot wrote:
>
>then I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.   I'm also sorry to hear that
>you have clueless users on your mailing lists...

Yep, I agree that were are going to disagree.  From my side of the fence, we
aren't clueless :-)

>proper use of filtering tools such as procmail will help make the load manageable.
>Trying to work with 300 plus messages a day without filtering shows either
>cluelessness or an enjoyment of self-inflicted pain.

I don't have any pain at all.  I pretty much read the messages in sequence.
I skip many based upon the subject line.  If they were shoved into different
folders, I'd have to keep jumping around into the folders.  For me, it is
just easier to have them in my main mailbox and go through them sequentially.

>au contrair.  point 2 and 3 are opposite sides of the same coin.  Reply-to prevents
>one from easily replying directly to another user.  Without reply-to, one can reply
>either way to list or to user very easily.

Without the Reply-To, it is not "easy" to reply to one or the other.  The
easy is to hit r) and one gets the author.  To get the group, I have to
hit t)o before mailing and change the To: to the list.  At least I have
an RHL alias to speed that up.  The main point is that I have to go out of
the way to reply to the mail list, without also replying to the author.
I do not consider that easy.  Of course, if I do my usual, I edit and send.
Oops, that means it went to the wrong place.

>>  4) It actually reduces functionality for the user of a reasonable mailer.
>>         It has never reduced my functionality.
>
>his point here further emphasizes details of the above points.  If reply-to is turned
>on, I cannot use simple mailer commands to direct the message to user or to mailing
>list.  I must instead manually seek out the address from the body of
>the message and cut then paste the address.  In my world, this means I've lost
>functionality.  I need to manually do what the mailer formerly did for me.

It is true.  But, as I point out, I have to manually intervine in order to
send the reply to ONLY the list.  The two options either send to the list
or send to the list AND the author.  There is no LIST ONLY REPLY option.

>>  5) It removes important information, which can make it impossible to get back
>>     to the message sender.
>>         More bull crap.  Since Chris loves the elm mailer, like me, he must
>>         know about the h) key. That will display all of the header information
>>         so that he can cut the author's address into a X-buffer.  I've yet
>>         to not be able to find the author's e-mail address in all of the
>>         headers, from either the lists that I send out, or in the other lists
>>         that I subscribe to.  The From: header is normally still there and
>>         it contains the author's address.  I've yet to be able to send a
>>         personal reply to an author.
>
>Many of the Windows-based user agents and even some of the Linux ones lose
>information about the message sender and make it well-nigh impossible to get back the
>original senders information.

Well, I've never lost it on any of the Unix platforms I've been one.

>assume your users are human.  Don't set them up to fail.

Everything has gone just fine so far.

>like I said at the beginning, we will have to agree to disagree.  I have hard-won
>experience showing me the wisdom of Chris's arguments, many long-term (decade+) users
>agree that reply to munging is considered harmful.

As I understand it, the Reply-To is supposed to be set to where you want
the reply sent to.  I don't consider that munging.  Setting it to the list,
as it is now, or setting it to the author, would both be correct and would
not be "munging."

Yep, we disagree.

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys?  Lisa: They must have