On 7/08/00 at 5:30 rpjday wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, gaillard lee johnson wrote:
>
>> Nitebirdz wrote:

>> > I've been using either OpenSSH or SSH 1.2.27.  Versions of SSH beyond
>> > 1.2.27 cannot be used for commercial purposes unless you purchase a
>> > license, as far as I understand.  Personal use must be another issue,
>> > guess.
>
>can anyone summarize the licensing and technical issues regarding
>ssh-1.1.27 versus openssh?  as i see it, ssh-1.2.27 seems to be
>the most popular version, so what's the advantage of openssh?
>is it backward compatible?  etc. etc.

simplified.....

ssh-1.2.27 req lic for business or money making use ...
ssh-1.2.27 may no longer be the most popular
ssh-1.2.27 (many RPMs) may be buffer overflow venerable

openssh is as the name implies...open, the OpenBSD guys and the community
at large work on the project
openssh supports both 1 & 2 protocols
openssh can be modified by you

client should not care as to what is being run on the server.....

for more in depth, look here

http://www.ssh.com
http://www.openssh.com

some other info here
http://www.freessh.org

Check out possible legalities depending on where you reside.

Regards

Greg Wright
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***