I had the following error yesterday and couldn't boot linux...

EXT-fs eror (device ide0 (3,70)): ext2_check_descriptors:
Block bitmap for group p16 not in group (block 0)!
EXT-fs group descriptors corrupted!
Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:46

I didn't recieve any responces from this list so  I went to the irc channel
linpeople for help.  Some peope there said that you can't fix this error and
that I have to reinstall.  First off is this true?  (I'm using rh6.2 and I
have the rescue cd if that helps)

Second, I didn't have a crash and didn't run as root the day this
happened...just a normal shutdown and reboot.  What possible could have
caused this?

Rob