>> I believe you're right, but I'd recommend to talk to your ISP's tech
>> support group since everything depends on how they configure their
>> routers.

They informed me in no uncertain terms that they don't support Linux.

> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/675.htm
>
>At least here with Bellsouth, PPPoE runs over the 1483 bridging
>option. Not sure what the other is, but since only two options, you
>could always try both. The above URL does not explain either.

I tried both with the PPPoE client from roaringpenguin.  I wasn't able to
login at all.  The directions in the manuals I received for the Cisco 675
seem to assume that you're a networking expert and just need to know the
proper syntax to enter.

Setting it up as a bridge, I assume that I don't have to configure the WAN
or LAN ports.  Maybe that's my trouble.

Glen