On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Fernando Rowies wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have installed bind in RH 6.1 and don't start as a daemon
> after system boot up.
>
> I use this command:
>
> rpm -i bind-8.2.1-7.i386.rpm
>
> when I install it.
> Appears to be that the installation is correct, because of
> the startup scripts installed in the process:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/named
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K45named
> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K45named
>
> What happen?

Actually, that configuration will **not** initialize bind upon
boot.  That's precisely the meaning of the "K" in fron of the
filename.  In order to change the configuration follow these directions:

-- View the /etc/inittab file and check with runlevel you are running by
default ("grep default /etc/inittab" will do).

-- Go to /etc/rc.d/rcX.d (where X is your default runlevel), and change
the filename from K45named to S45named.

That should do it, but if you're still experiencing problems make sure you
check the /var/log/messages for possible hints.