On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Fernando Rowies wrote:
> >

> > Actually, that configuration will **not** initialize bind upon
> > boot.  That's precisely the meaning of the "K" in fron of the
> > filename.  In order to change the configuration follow these directions:
> >
> > -- View the /etc/inittab file and check with runlevel you are running by
> > default ("grep default /etc/inittab" will do).
> >
> > -- Go to /etc/rc.d/rcX.d (where X is your default runlevel), and change
> > the filename from K45named to S45named.
> >
> > That should do it, but if you're still experiencing problems make sure you
> > check the /var/log/messages for possible hints.
> >

> > -------------------------------
> > Nitebirdz
> > http://www.linuxnovice.org
> > Your place for tips, news, etc.
> >
> You are better off using chkconfig or ntsysv to make the changes.  You
> want to make sure you start things in the correct order.

Absolutely correct, but if you pay attention to the numbers they are
already organized in the correct order by Red Hat... as long as you don't
change those numbers when you play changing from "K" to "S" back and
forth.  After all, that's what those tools that you mention do.

In any case, I also thought it was a good chance to explain how the whole
process works.