on the topic of tracking down what's going on I find the tools at:

http://combat.uxn.com/

to be very useful in finding out who owns a certain IP and who
they're connected through... and like the best stuff in life they're
free! :)

there's also useful information on how to follow up attempted and
successful attacks on your system at:

http://www.cert.org/

if you can't be bothered reading what's there then you should at the
very least CC any emails reporting an attack or compromise to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] so they can track the incident...

good luck!

cheers, dan.

<SNIP>

--

        Nitro - 3D Visualisation, Graphics & Animation
                Ph (+61 2) 9810 5177 - Fx (+61 2) 9810 0199