<RANT>

Yes, you and everyone else who is hacking on me for having a winblows box in
my house is correct.  Anything Sam Spade can do I can do at the command line
on my LINUX server.

However, the reality of my life is that all my work is on an NT box (at
work) except for some very special things residing on Solaris/IRIX/HPUX
(depending on the machine)...  For me to maintain compatibility with those
things, & to give my wife something she is capable of using, I must have a
windows box in my house.

No matter how much I like LINUX, and most of the apps that are available on
it, the fact is that I must keep the windows box as the prominant machine.
Now, I routinely pipe X apps back to this box, and I routinely log in & work
at the command prompt with TeraTerm SSH, but with the windows box being the
dominant machine, certain things happen:

1) all log checks are mailed to my ISP (instead of remaining on the server
where a successful hacker could delete the logs & spoof me)

2) Since the MS machine is the dominant machine, I (of course) receive my
mail through a windows program (Sometimes Netscape, sometimes Outlook)

3) Since I am already on a MS box, it makes the most sense for me to use a
windows program to do my reverse lookups, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on this list in this (or a similar)
situation.
</RANT>

Yes, Sam Spade is essentially a bunch of scripts that do the same things
that I can do at the command line.  However, it is nce to have them all
bound together under a single GUI that is fairly easy to operate.  It also
has some things built in that I don't know how to do, such as checking smtp
daemons for open relays (which is the reason I picked it up in the 1st
place)...

It also has the nice bit that when I do a lookup, I can also click on any IP
or name that is presented in the window, & do a further lookup on that
machine simply by pointing and clicking again.

In other words, what would take me 15-20 minutes at the command line, I can
do in less than 5 using this tool.

And, isn't the whole point of a tool to make life easier?  This one
certainly does that, regardless of the platform it's on...

Sorry, I guess I'm in a pissy mood today...