Thanks for your help.  I tried your suggestion and the problem
persists.  In /var/log/messages on the machine that refuses to export the
mount, there is some message about a pam authorization failure.  (I
selected pam security when I installed.)  I looked and found that some of
my "users" have passwords in /etc/passwd, while others have them in
/etc/shadow where they all should be.  Evidently I'm caught somewhere in
the middle between using pam and not using it.

Does anybody know a simple way to reset pam?  Or does anyone know what
actually happens when you select that option at installation?  I cannot
find anything about it in linuxconf.  I found /etc/pam.d, but I don't
understand what I'm looking at, and I haven't found any man pages about it yet.

Thanks for any ideas,
Julius