Juha-Heikki Lehtonen wrote:

> Im using rh 6.0 and I'm trying to get samba server work with my windows
> computers.
> Samba, Win98 and 2k are in same network under the same mask and in same
> workgroup.
> When I try to login from win98 computer (clicking Samba servers name in
> Computers near me) it gives me a NT server-like password prompt:
> Resource: \\MyServerName\IPC$
> Password:
>
> and when I try to give it any password what I could have used with Samba it
> says Wrong password.
>
> When I click Samba server in Win2k it says only that
> "The account is not authorized to login from this station"
>
> I've tried to add many kinds of users in smbpasswd and even in
> passwd -files, but still nothing.
> Should I take off this encrypted password thing(or something like that) in
> Windows registry and how can I do it, or what?
>
> Thanx, Juha

I would not (did not) disable the encrypted passwords. I have nt and win 98
clients  on my network with no problems.  I can't speak of the wk issues that
may be there.  Did you set up samba to use encryped passwords?  Is is not on
by default as I recall.  Reat the ENCRYPTED.TXT file in /usr/doc/samba and let
us know if you have any probs.

BTW our samba servers are RH6.0 too but soon to be upgraded.

Bret