On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Spunk S. Spunk III wrote:
> Okay,
> so my dmesg does report that it's seeing  my Yamaha CD-RW as sr0 but it also sees it
>as hdc.
> Is this the conflict? and if so how do I fix it? (I did turn off IDE ATAPI support
>in the
> kernel). Either way, when I do a mount -t
> iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/yamaha, I'm getting the "Wrong fs type..." error message.
>AHHHH!!! I
> can't mount this stupid thing! What am I doing wrong?
>
> Spunk

It showing up as hdc once and later as sr0 is fine. That is normal
behavior. As for the obscure error message, the only way I get that is
if I attempt to mount a blank CD or an audio CD. By any chance is this
what you were trying? I have seen other people who have had this problem
with good disks, and the only resolution they came up with that I have
seen was upgrading to a very recent kernel:-( See
comp.os.linux.hardware, Jason White on 7/17/2000, on dejanews or where
ever.

If you are trying to mount a good data disk, then the only other thing I
wonder about is whether there are any other devices on the IDE cable
that has your CDRW? If so, try disconnecting it (hopefully it is not
your boot disk). Perhaps the ide-scsi driver has problems with non
ide-scsi devices on the same cable.

You can also try executing "dmesg" (which is different from
/var/log/dmesg) after attempting the mount, and if you are really lucky,
perhaps there will be some additional helpful information displayed.

-Duane