John Aldrich wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a local copy of Apache on our LAN to try things on
> > before I try them on our main web server.
> >
> > My Virtual hosts section looks like this:
> >
> > <VirtualHost 192.168.0.81>
> >      ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
> >      DocumentRoot /Webhomes/Testsite.com
> >      ServerName localhost
> >      ErrorLog logs/testsite.com-error_log
> >      CustomLog logs/testsite.com-access_log common
> > </VirtualHost>
> >

> > I can't use a real domain name. because we don't have one here.
> >
> > The virtual host section on the live server looks exactly like that, but it
> > uses a real domain name. It works fine, but here on our LAN it's showing me
> > the default Apache page instead of the index.html file that's in the dir.
> >
> > Any suggestions? the perms are ok, all dirs are ugo+rx and all files are ugo+r.
> >
> Hmm...what I'd do is set up a "fake domain" and DNS for it
> and use that domain with your own DNS server and the
> private IPs. You'll want to replace "<VirtualHost
> 192.168.0.81> with your fake domain name.

This is pretty much what I did only I sub-domained(?) my real domain that is handled
by verio.  Works really well.

officename.domain.com
I set up dns for it using the dreaded linuxconf with no problems.
Added our ISP name servers as forwarders to the local dns

I put officename.domain.com as the domain in my dhcp server and the new dns server
for officename.domain.com as the nameserver for everyone
now I can find all my local servers in private ip space with no problems using just
the hostname.

name resolution for anything else is forwarded to the isp nameservers.
There is also the added benefit that the local dns caches the dns calles so our dsl
line does not take the hit for every call to resolve yahoo or what ever.

HTH

Bret