On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Adam Sleight wrote:

> I compiled 2.4.0-test8-1.0 and now my cd burning doesn't work and sound doesn't
> work.  Generally, what is supposed to be compiled as a module?  I'm guess my
> scsi cd burner doesn't burn because I didn't use mkinitrd.  Although I can't
> mount cd's etc...just not burn.
>
> sage: mkinitrd [--version] [-v] [-f] [--ifneeded] [--preload <module>]
>        [--omit-scsi-modules] [--omit-raid-modules] [--with=<module>]
>        [--image-version] [--fstab=<fstab>] [--nocompress] <initrd-image>
>        <kernel-version>
>        (ex: mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img 2.2.5-15)
> How do I use mkinitrd?  Is it necessary?

You don't need an Initial Ram Disk - this is only needed if your root
file system needs modules in order to be mounted.  When you compile your
own kernel, you would normaly include the drivers for the root file
system in the kernel because you know they are always going to be
needed.  Besides, if you needed the initial ram disk, you would not be
able to boot the system without it!

Now, for burning CDs, you need to have the gemeric SCSI module
installed.  Try doing a "modprobe sg" amd see if that fixes yoour
problem.  For the sound, did you build the sound modules when you built
the kernel?  Also, did you build and install the modules when you built
your kernel?  I know these are basic questions, but from your questions,
I am not sure of the level of your knowlege - but I suspect you are new
to building kernels.

Mikkel