UM, one poster had the simple answer, which is to change the way ssh authenticates.

You can either set up a passwordless RSA authentication key, or you can use .shosts.

Unlike with the r-utils(rsh,rlogin,rcp) the s-utils(ssh,slogin,scp) check the host
keys to at least verify that the two hosts in question are who they say they are. This
may be enough for you, depending on the security level of the administrating machine.

David Kramer wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Gene Wilburn wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> >
> > > You need to write your script to run scp in the expect scripting
> > > language. Expect is an extention of tcl. Easy to use and easy learn. Your
> > > problem is that the request for the password is not supposed to come from
> > > stdin; it's supposed to come from /dev/console. Expect starts child
> > > processes which have an attached pair of psuedo terminals whih it has full
> > > control over.
> >
> > As I wrote in the original message, I'm already writing out the scp
> > portion of my Perl script as an expect script and executing that from
> > within Perl. I'd rather do the whole process within Perl itself since the
> > majority of the script does a lot Perlish-oriented admin work that I
> > wouldn't enjoy re-writing in tcl. Ideally I'd like to hear of a way to
> > feed the password to scp via Perl.
> >
> > Has anyone been able to automate an scp script, including feeding it a
> > password, using Perl or Bash?
> >
> I've never done it, but you should be able to use OPEN3, which can open
> for input AND output.

Sam Bayne - System Administrator
North Seattle Community College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     (206)527-3762