On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Charles Galpin wrote:

> A small but significant error here.
>
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Michael Butler/CanEast/IBM wrote:
>
> >      Now if you look in your /etc/rc.d/rc3.d directory you will see a
> > number of files like so: K30syslog, K80gpm, S35random. The K tells you what
> > service to start when you enter the run level and the S tells you what
> > service to stop when you leave that particular run level. The numbers tell
> > you in which order to execute the service, i.e. K30 comes before K80,
> > therefore syslog is started before gpm.
>
> The S scripts are run at startup (Start)
> The K scripts are run when exiting (Kill)
>
> hth
> charles

(by the way, what is "hth" anyway?)

  both the K* and S* scripts are run when *entering* a particular
run level -- the K scripts make sure that services that are not
appropriate for the run level are killed, followed by starting
all appropriate services.

  if you peruse /etc/inittab, you'll see that most of the work is
done by running the script /etc/rc.d/rc with the run level as an
argument.  so check the source for /etc/rc.d/rc to see what
actually happens.

rday

--
"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"