From: Edward Marczak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 5:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Streaming media

On 19/9/00 7:39 PM, Jonathan Wilson struck keys that formed the message:

> Howdy,
>
> Is anyone here familiar with using Linux to stream streaming media?
> We've found that Real's RealMedia Plus server runs on Linux, but we want
> be able to stream MPEG 1 or AVI (_possilby_ also .asf for those who really
> want it).
>
> So far I've had bad luck finding either MPEG  or AVI streaming servers for
> Linux.

A different approach:  http://www.streamingserver.org.  They can point you
to Apple's free version of Quick Time Streaming Server (properly called
Darwin Streaming Server).  Available for RedHat Linux.  It will allow you to
stream any valid QT format, including MP3.  Possibly .avi, but I've never
tested that.  Quite frankly, AVI really isn't up to the task of streaming.
--
Ed Marczak