On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > P.S. mp3 is not the same as MPEG - I've noticed many people are confused about
>that.
> > MPEG is video, mp3 is audio only.
>
> Unless I've gone nuts or this has change, MP3 does indeed mean MPEG, in
> a way. MP3 is short for MPEG3, which is an audio format. MPEG1 and MPEG2
> are video/audio formats. MPEG4 is also a video/audio format? Is this
> wrong? Someone feel free to correct me if it is...

MP3 = MPEG1 Layer 3 and describes the psycho-acoustic compression of audio
signals only

So MP3 is actually part of MPEG 1, but Layer 3 is the audio....
MPEG3 doesn't actually exist anymore...

>From [71] Introduction to MPEG (long) FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part2/section-2.html

Q: What is MPEG, exactly?

A: MPEG is the "Moving Picture Experts Group", working under the
   joint direction of the International Standards Organization (ISO)
   and the International Electro-Technical Commission (IEC). This
   group works on standards for the coding of moving pictures and
   associated audio.

Q: What is the status of MPEG's work, then? What's about MPEG-1, -2,
   and so on?

A: MPEG approaches the growing need for multimedia standards step-by-
   step. Today, three "phases" are defined:

   MPEG-1: "Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio for
           Digital Storage Media at up to about 1.5 MBit/s"

   MPEG-2: "Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio"

           N601, N602, N603 (11.93)

   MPEG-3: no longer exists (has been merged into MPEG-2)

   MPEG-4: "Very Low Bitrate Audio-Visual Coding"

Q: MPEG-1 is ready-for-use. How does the standard look like?

A: MPEG-1 consists of 4 parts:

   IS 11172-1: System
   describes synchronization and multiplexing of video and audio

   IS 11172-2: Video
   describes compression of non-interlaced video signals

   IS 11172-3: Audio
   describes compression of audio signals

   CD 11172-4: Compliance Testing
   describes procedures for determining the characteristics of coded
   bitstreams and the decoding porcess and for testing compliance
   with the requirements stated in the other parts

--
If some people didn't tell you, you'd never know they'd been away on vacation.