Long time since your post, Guillermo, but hopefully you're still lurking on
the list...

I'm finding it hard to believe, but I'm sitting here looking at my nis
automounted home directory!!!  Jeez, I'm amazed!

What happened was this:  I was poking around in the logs I copied from when
I was trying to get my /homes directories to automount from the maps on the
nis server when I noticed that the maptype & mapname didn't look right for
the /homes automount:-

Sep 27 13:52:36 racoon automount[447]: starting automounter version 3.1.4,
path
= /homes, maptype = yp:auto.homes, mapname = none

According to the man page for auto.master, the entry I should put in for my
nis /homes map was
/homes  yp:auto.homes

Having seen what was going in to the logs, I changed this line to
/homes  yp      auto.homes

and restarted and the b**tard worked!  I guess the auto.master man page
needs a bit of re-editing...

BTW, you'll have to forgive my overexcitement but I've been on this problem
for ages and couldn't understand why it didn't work...

--
David Rhodes - IT Systems Administrator
Oxford Molecular Ltd., Oxford Science Park, Oxford OX4 4GA