On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
>
>> Can anyone explain to me why we're getting faster download on our dial up
>> connection with a 56k modem than with 256k DSL?  I'm running a Linux box
>> as the Internet gateway for the LAN - RH 6.1.  Download is so slow that I
>> finally decided to bypass the LAN with one of the Windows boxes, and I'm
>> getting faster download to it with the dial up account than I am through
>> the Linux gateway with is tied directly to the Cisco 675 router.
>>
>> Glen
>>

>Do they go through the same ISP,

Yes.

>and the same route?

Not real sure what you mean here.  From here to the ISP the routes are
different, and once there they access the backbone through separate means,
but I don't know if there is one gateway they both converge on when the
packet hits the ISP.

>It could be your ISP
>has over subscribed DSL, and is running out of bandwith...

Could be.  They're more user friendly than most.  This is why I went with
them.  I can run my own servers for no extra fee (unless I go over the 6
gig bandwidth limit for my level account) as long as I don't use any extra
of their services, such as dns, etc.

I have to say I assumed the problem was with heavy traffic on the 'net.
But when I reconfigured IE on the Win98 box to dial up my ISP and I was
able to quickly download sites I couldn't access through the DSL line, it
made me wonder why I signed up for a year DSL line with the phone co!

Glen