system: RedHat 6.2 x86

Since yesterday, in multi-user mode, I can no longer authenticate any
users.  All login attempts result in 'login failure'.  Strangely,
/var/adm/messages does not indicate any failures from PAM.

In single user-mode, I have no problems su'ing from and to any user.  I've
'zeroed' out root's shadow password, then rebooted, and logins still fail.

I've checked to make sure all my keys work properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get back into multi-user
mode?  I've tried commenting out all the entries in /etc/pam.d/login (not
having researched what each line does), and logins still fail.

Thanks,
Marco