This is strictly a guess...But when I have had this type of problem before
it was becuase both the IDE and the SCSI were trying to be the primary boot
device at the same time.  In my case I was forced to let the IDE be the
primary boot device and shut the boot capcbility off on the SCSI device.  I
was still able to "boot" from the SCSI devices using LILO.

Paul Anderson