Well, the fun just never ends with this new controller.  This is a
somewhat lengthy email, so if you're not interested, just delete it now
and move on to brighter and shinier things. ;-)

I've read and re-read the HOWTO on this, but I /cannot/ keep the system
from crashing.  It doesn't seem to like the co-existence of my PCI SCSI
(from which I boot) and the Ultra66.   Here's the applicable section of
my /proc/pci:

Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology Unknown device
(rev 1).
      Vendor id=105a. Device id=4d38.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 14.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0x78d0 [0x78d1].
      I/O at 0x78c4 [0x78c5].
      I/O at 0x78c8 [0x78c9].
      I/O at 0x78c0 [0x78c1].
      I/O at 0x7880 [0x7881].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfebc0000 [0xfebc0000].

Based on this information, following is my /etc/lilo.conf.  The
label=linux kernel knows nothing about the Ultra66, and therefore boots
perfectly.  The label=ultra is the problem child.  The append statement
was added (pursuant to the HOWTO) based on the information in /proc/pci.

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/bzImage
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1

image=/boot/bzImage-ultra
        label=ultra
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1
        append="ide2=0x78d0,0x78c6 ide3=0x78c8,0x78c2"

I've tried pci=reverse.  I've tried pci=nobios.  I've tried hde=noprobe.
 They all result in the following scenario.  Much of what follows is a
recap of my prior post, as I want to be as complete as possible.  And
just to be perfectly clear, the system BIOS is configured to boot from
the PCI SCSI controller.

I'm running v2.2.17, and I've applied the proper patch from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.17/  and
enabled the  following in the config:

Use DMA by default when available
ATA Work(s) In Progress
Promise PDC20246/PDC20262 support
Special UDMA Feature
Special Mode Feature

(I don't know that I needed the ATA Work(s) option, but since there
wasn't any documentation available for it, I threw it in for good
measure.)  The documentation for the Promise support option stated that
I /must/ have the first option (Use DMA by default . . .).

Also, just for good measure, I've flashed the BIOS on the Ultra card to
the latest and greatest version.

When I boot to the new kernel, everything SCSI goes south.  Following
are some excerpts of the boot process.  I've edited out some stuff that
is repeated multiple times, but if I cut something important, just let
me know and I'll send it:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PDC2062: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 50
PDC2062: chipset revision 1
PDC2062: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC2062: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
PDC2062: FORCING PRIMARY MODE BIT 0x00 -> 0x01 MASTER
PDC2062: FORCING SECONDARY MODE BIT 0x00 -> 0x01 MASTER
   ide2: BM-DMA at 0x7880 - 0x7887, BIOS settings: hde: pio, hdf: pio
   ide3: BM-DMA at 0x7880 - 0x7887, BIOS settings: hde: pio, hdf: pio
hde: WDC WD450AA-00BAA0, ATA Disk Drive
ide2 at 0x78d0 - 0x78d7, 0x78c6 on irq 14

Then, it begins id'ing my SCSI devices.  However, it identifies each
device twice, such as:

Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
<Western Digital hard drive details here>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
<Western Digital disk details here>

And then, when it hits my Plextor CD-RW, it goes nuts:

Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 7, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
<*snip*>
Detected SCSI disk sdb @ scsi0, channel 0, id 15, lun 0
<Plextor CD-RW details here>
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr3: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr4: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr5: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr6: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr7: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr8: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr9: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr10: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
<*snip*>
SCSI disk error: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code=18000002
sd08:01: old sense key None
<*snip*>
Non-extended sense class 0 code 0x0 scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01,
sector 190242
EXT2-FS error (device sd(8,1)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode
block - inode=22617, block 90121

Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel.

I'm at my wit's end on this gig, and really don't know where to turn
next.  Anybody have any thoughts as to where I should begin looking?

Thanks.
--
Steve