Jamin Collins wrote:

> This is most likely a stupid question and I'm sure it probably been answered
> elsewhere.  However, I haven't been able to locate a good answer on it.
> What is port 113 used for normally, and should I have this port accessible
> on my company's firewall?  I'm asking because after checking the logs this
> morning I see several requests from what I would normally consider to be
> reputable sources on this port, that my firewall has rejected.

I believe that this is where the ident daemon listens.  There are some services
that really like to ask the machine that is calling who it is.  I hava always
suspected that this is anti spoof sort of thing but in my limited experience
nothing breaks if it is not there.  Also,  I believe that if you are
masquerading behind your firewall there is a special ident module you need to
run on the firewall and possibly the client behind the firewall so the response
is from the proper machine.

Short answer I don't let it thru or run it on my firewall and there are no
problems that I know of.

Bret