run 'date>>/tmp/top.log;top -b -n 1>>/tmp/top.log' every 5 minutes from
cron and you will have a log you can review after thsi happens again.

Then you can at least determine whether or not it's the kernel leaking
memory, or some other program.

I'm not sure how to get top to sort results by memory usage in batch mode,
but it can be easily done afterwards

hth
charles