[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Although it may seem counter-intuitive to some, the Clinton-Gore
> administration made considerable progress in reducing the size of
> government.  If memory serves, there was a net reduction of 300,000
> positions in the Federal government.  And of course the budget was
> balanced and the national debt considerably reduced.  I went looking
> on the web just now for scrupulously non-partisan information on this,
> but couldn't find it.  If anyone has a link, would you please send it
> my way.

That 300,000 cut from the federal payroll is a bit of a smoke & mirrors
operation.  Where I work, and some friends at the V.A. ran into the
same,
the "cuts" consisted of terminating a large number of people and then
rehiring them as contractors.  That way, they're no longer on the
"payroll",
they're just a line item in overhead budget.  Neat, Huh?

best
     rickf
--
Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Definition:  Honest Politician:  Once bought, stays bought."
                                --Robert Heinlein