-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: mike allerhand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Ernie LaBonte
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 4:18 PM
Subject: printing directly to port 9100

>Ok... I'm trying to setup print accounting that will work with both
>postscript from unix and PCL files from samba sending to the same unix
>queue.  (It appears that accounting that's normally built in usually only
>works correctly with postscript files, and it has to be directly to the
>printer port, not remote).
>
>I've been wrestling with this for a year now in my off time in both Dec
>Unix and RH Linux.
>I'd really appreciate any help so I dont get yelled at anymore.
>
>First step is to get printing working direcly to HP jetdirect port 9100.
>I can telnet to printer:9100 and get a response, but when the printer is
>setup, jobs aren't printing... either they disappear with no log they went
>in or out, or they sit in the queue.

What does your /etc/printcap file look like?  I've got a large format
plotter here in our office connected via ethernet.  It took a little messing
around to get the printing going.  Give us a look at that, and perhaps we
can help a bit.

>I was just trying to see if the "as shipped" lpd would do accounting right
>for PS & PCL.
>
>Perhaps I should ditch lpd and go straight to using LPRng?

LPRng is probably a fine idea, but lpd should be able to print at least.

Jeff Hogg