[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I connect to my machine from a remote location and use the X Windows
> (kde) interface, instead of telnet?  Say this might be from either Windows
> or MacOX 9/X.

In a word, yes.

How you go about it can vary.

If your client machine is a stupi^H^H^H^H^Hnon-Unix system, your best
bet is probably to use VNC.

See:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Or,

http://freshmeat.net/projects/vnc-tight/

If you're paranoid about security then you'll want to encrypt the
connection.  ssh can be made to do this, but I don't know of any free
ssh implementations for Mac or Windoze which allow arbitrary port
forwarding, which is what you'll need to encrypt X or VNC.  The
commercial ssh clients from F-Secure do allow port forwarding, I think
they run about $100 per license but I'm not sure.

If for some reason you don't want to use VNC, there are also a number of
X servers for Mac and Winblows.  A couple are free (MI/X is available
for both Mac and PC, it works well), some are not (one name I know but
haven't tried is Hummingbird; a server that I tried a couple of years
ago and liked a lot was called Kea!X).