If you don't compile the kernel yourself, everything is built as a
module. That's how RH does things. The idea is to support most setups
right out of the box so to speak (of course it's by no means useful for
any noteable setup).

lp is the parallel port module which must get installed in order to allow
for parallel ports to work.

I think parport_pc goes in before lp. I compile my own kernel and use as
few modules as possible. It's all about knowing everything about your
system:P All my parallel port stuff is built-in (I use a parallel port
scanner but I use a printer remotely).

> I'm using the latest kernel rpms from updates.redhat.com
> (2.2.16-3).  Even if it IS compiled into this kernel, why do I
> have to load the module to get printing to work?

recap: RH kernel packages don't have most things compiled in which means
you'll have to install the module (provided they had one built). parallel
port support is via module per RH's packages.

> Juan
>
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Statux wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:19:08 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Statux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: lp module and new parallel port
> >
> > You don't have the module compiled into the kernel? That would be much
> > easier...
> >
> > On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Juan Martinez wrote:
> >
> > > I added a second parallel port to my RH6.2 box for a second
> > > printer.  When I had one parallel port I could print without
> > > any problems.  Now I have to make sure that the lp module is
> > > loaded.  Why is this so?
> > >
> > > What do I need to put in my /etc/conf.modules file to get it
> > > to load automatically?  In the meantime, I've added 'insmod lp'
> > > to the end of my rc.local file.
> > >

> > > Juan

> > --
> > -Statux