Wayne Stout wrote:

> >  I don't run the particular RAID5 card that you are, but I ran into
> > problems similar to this one with ours. I think what your going to have to
> > do is get into the system some how (rescue disk perhaps?) and remake the
> > initrd ram disk for the kernel to have it load the correct updated Compaq
> > driver instead of the non functional one that its currently trying to
> > load.
>
> Well, since the boot disk doesn't work, I've tried using tomsrtbt. I can
> get to a prompt, but have no idea where to go from there. Should I be
> able to insmod the updated cpqarray.o and access the raid controller
> then?
>
> Thanks,

Hmmm...  Well, yes if the module will load with the kernel that tomsrtbt
comes with.  The problem is that you still will not be able to fix the
problem as you don't have a kernel or initrd image you need.

What you need to do is install the RH source on another machine & patch
the kernel with the latest driver for your controller.  Then configure the
kernel to use that driver and make it static - not modular; you want the
driver imbedded in the kernel so you don't have to load it.  Compile the
kernel and put it on a rescue disk.  The rescue disk is a MSDOS file system
AFAIK, so just mount it (-t msdos) and cp the kernel from
/usr/src/<kernel>/arch/i386/boot (bzImage) to the floppy.  It should boot
and mount the root file system.

An alternative is to again use another RH machine, but modify the initrd
image by adding the cpqarray.o to it and then putting the new initrd image
on the boot floppy and boot through the 2nd stage at which point you can
get a prompt, mount the / files system (and the floppy) and copy the initrd
image to /boot.

Of course if you just purchased the RH, you should have 30 days support
and RH might (should) have a better solution.  After all, they did add the
support for the driver disk and it doesn't seem to have worked.

Best

Cokey