Reply to message from John N. Alegre on Fri, 24 Nov 2000, 19:39 <-0600>:

Hi John,
I am just a beginner to Linux, so perhaps I shouldn't dare trying to give
hints how to fix a problem like this -- my apologies in anticipation
therefore ...

> [ ... ]
>
> On the Macintosh I am trying to send mail by configuring the remote SMTP machine
> to the IP address of the machine running sendmail.  I do this in the Netscape
> (or Eudora) preferences panel.  However all attempts to send mail give this
> error:

I had a problem similar to yours a week ago, too, with Netscape, here at
home at my
single-user box with Linux on it.

And IIRC, after changing the mail-server settings in Netscape-Preferences
I got the the same following error-messages from Netscape-Messenger when
trying to send mail with it:

> An error occurred while sending mail.
> The mail server responded:
>    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... Relaying denied
> Please check the message recipients and try again.

IIRC I fixed this simply by changing Netscape's "Outgoing mail (SMTP)
server" settings to the the *correct* values ... (or was it the "Incoming
Mail Servers" setting I changed ...?  I'm 95% sure it was the "outgoing"
one ...)

I hope it helps ...

Regards --
Wolfgang