If it's happening when you try to get a file, the file is probably
not --x--x--x.  In addition to whatever properties you set on teh
file (ie, rw-r--r--) you need to have an x in the owner, group and
world fields (ie, rwxr-xr-x).

Your /tftpboot directory should be set 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

As to the put problem, tftp 0.17-5 seems to be broken, though
RedHat's folks have seemed to deny this fact.

You should backlevel to 0.16-5, and your put problems should go away,
too, as long as you have the right directory and file permissions
set.