On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:42:49PM -0600, Jonathan Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I'm wondering if the following is possible:

Not quite, but you can change your work practices...

| I have a dir "/work" that every one shares. It's specificly a place for people
 to put things for others. everyone who writes to it belongs to the "users" grou
p. However the default umask of all those users does not include g+w. That's ok,
 because in most of the system I don't want the default to be g+w. So I'm wonder
ing, isn't there a way to set perms up on a directory so that all files created
inside that directory inherit the parent dir's perms? I tried "g+s" but that did
n't work.

[ BTW, _please_ press return every 70 or so chars... ]

| Any ideas?

One alternative (which we're planning to implement here) is to shift to
a umask of 002 or 007. To do this and still preserve users' privacy the
plan is to give every user their own group (with no members) and make
all their home dirs group owned by each user's group. In the shared
areas you set group ownership to the group sharing the area. And of
course set g+s on all the dirs. That way you can run with 002 or 007
and user's files are still private because nobody else is a member of
the group owning them in their own home dirs.

It's a bit of work to move to such a scheme, but probably well worth it.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Oats: a grain which is commonly given to horses, but in Scotland supports
the people. - Johnson, Definition Dictionary