You're half correct.  Sendmail has to know that the user is local,
and it then passes the message to procmail to process.

The problem, as it appears to me, without having any further data, is
that Sendmail probably knows that it's supposed to deliver to users
at the system name, but may not know that it's also supposed to
accept mail for just the domain name, too, and may be rejecting the
mail based on that.