The problem comes primarily from the rubber/leather soles of your shoes,
which keep you from dissipating charge back to ground.  During humid days,
the water & other particulates in the air act as a good enough conductor to
discharge you continuously.

I would imagine that, in most cases, the discharges won't hurt any
equipment, as long as it only hits the case.  I have had problems when
getting shocked while holding magnetic media, however - the EMP is strong
enough in a localized area to scramble the bits on my floppy/zip drive
disks...

If you want to be really sure that no equipment is damaged, you can go an
extra step & install grounding cable to the equipment back to a grounding
bus (althoug, if their PS's are wired correctly, they should already be
wired back like this.

I personally find the problem to be worst with my chair - it seems to
generate a gob of static.  I'm considering attaching a ground strap to the
chair itself (I move around a lot, but the chair doesn't).