Wolfgang Pfeiffer stated the following:

> Reply to message from Wolfgang Pfeiffer on Wed, 13 Dec 2000, 02:23 <+0100>:
>
> > Reply to message from Charles Galpin on Tue, 12 Dec 2000, 20:01 <-0500>:
> >
> > > I'd assume yes, but here is the info on the version I am using. Try here
> > > first
> > >
> > >  http://ftp.yars.free.net/projects/lftp/
> > >
> > > [ ... ]
>

> > Thanks Charles, in the meantime I think it's possible the one I found is a
> > Polish-Language version ... near the end there:
> >
> > duch.mimuw.edu.pl
> >                ^^
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > I'll try tomorrow to find another version ...
> > (too late at night now ...)
>
> I found a 'lftp' version in the meantime in English (Red Hat on my machine
> is in English ... although I really would have preferred the polish(ed)
> version, because it seems being very fresh ... I guess a polish language
> version probably will not be compatible with my English Red Hat version on
> my box.)
>
> But let me point to this: 'wget' does ftp *and* http -- I find it very
> useful for downloading html-ized manuals: wget is able to follow links on
> html-pages and then download them ... perhaps a bit complicated for
> beginners as I am, but once understood it seems to be very fast and
> extremely useful for people wanting to let jobs being done by the machine
> that otherwise would have to be done by humans ... :)
>
> If you want to test it:
> to download a wget manual, you could try doing this with the following
> command (the following 2 lines are *one* command ...)
>
> wget -l 20 -t5 -r -L -np -nc -nh http://www.gnu.org/manual/wget-1.5.3
> /html_chapter/wget_toc.html
>
> With the last command to download this complete manual shouldn't take you
> more than about 30-60 seconds with an ISDN line ... :)
>
> ... and for the sake of security of your machine: if you please check the
> options of this command in man wget: I'm still a beginner with Linux ...
>
> You probably will not find the '-np' option in this man page ... the GNU
> Wget Manual says:
>  `-np'
>    `--no-parent'
>
>            Do not ever ascend to the parent directory when retrieving
>            recursively.This is a useful option, since it guarantees that
>            only the files below a certain hierarchy will be downloaded.
>            See section Directory-Based Limits for more details.
>
> And Charles,
> thanks again for your hint for 'lftp' ... I'm curious to study
> man lftp
> the next days.

Here's my two cents worth:

I haven't tried lftp, but there's many packages that provide this type
of service; i.e.: ncftp, gftp (by Gnome), etc.  Sometimes ftp sites
mandate regular ftp for passive protocol reasons.  Although, I'm
looking forward to seeing how lftp works; therefore, thanks for the
links.  As for the Polish version, you'll get prompted with Polish
language.

Now for wget, it suggests using .wgetrc for default settings, but the
documentation said (long ago when I last read it) that wget gets
finicky about additional command line options once .wgetrc is
configured (paraphrasing).  So, I made the alias below in ~/.bashrc
and an option can be added to alias wget when the command is
executed.  If pppd is disconnected, normally I only need "-c" with
alias wget.  Also, you can run many alias wgets as you which, http is
not a road block, there's less overhead, so things run faster.  (Note:
all quotes below are mandatory.)  You can use "tail -f" with quotes
around the log filename to view each execution of alias wget's
progress.

alias wget='wget -v --follow-ftp --glob=on -N -r -l0 --tries=0
--no-parent -k -o "log - $(date "+%r %Z -:- %A, %B %d, %Y")"'

Ultimately, it boils down to one thing -- whatever gets the job done.

HTH...

Note: When you reply to this message, please include
      the mailing list and my email address.