This card should work, see:
http://hardware.redhat.com/redhatready/cgi-bin/us/detaillist.cgi?item=337

My experience is consistent with the info on the web page above:  I have two systems
(both running RH6.2) with these cards in them, and I have had no problems.

If your system hangs before linux even starts, then it is not an OS compatibility
problem.  Maybe the sound card is bad?  You might try exchanging it where you bought
it before giving up on it.

--
Larry Grover, PhD
Assoc Prof of Physiology