christopher j bottaro wrote:

> i'm logged in as a normal user most of the time on my linux machine, but i
> download and install a lot of stuff too.  this requires me to switch back and
> forth between superuser and my normal login.  my friend told me that at his
> work, they have a das (do a superuser) alias on their play linux boxes.  he
> says it works like this...
> das mv blah /usr/local
> 1)  changes to su
> 2)  executes "mv blah /usr/local" as su
> 3)  exits from su
>
> can some show me how to write such an alias (or even shell script?)?  thanks
> a bunch.

install sudo.  Should be an rpm around somewhere.  Very powerfull and flexible
in the config.  From I want to be able to do anything to allowing users to only
run certain commands.  I will if configured to do so prompt you for the users
password so you don't even have to know roots password.  Of course you will have
to su to set it up :)

Bret